Suspecting is the first step of the Sales Process wherein based on the customer profile (Target Group) that we wish to have we develop an imaginary list (of suspects) in our mind which fits the customer profile that we have in our mind.
Suspecting —————- Suspects ————— Imaginary list of Suspects —————- Prospecting starts on Suspect list
1.What is the difference between Suspecting and Prospecting?
- Suspect list created out of Suspecting is the raw material that feeds Prospecting
- Quality Suspecting leads to Qualified Prospects
- Suspecting is imaginary whereas Prospecting is real
2.What is the importance of Suspecting in the Sales Process?
- Suspecting generates “Contactable Data” for the salesperson so that he can start “contacting”
- Suspecting guides the sales process towards a Sales Funnel
3.How should we do “Suspecting”?
- Step 1: Define Target Group of Customers on the following parameters: a) Demography b) Psychography (Lifestyle, Habit, Attitude) c) Firmography d) Incomegraphy
- Step 2: Based on TG, what are the sources of data where you suspect your customers can be present
- Step 3: Prepare Suspect List and start Prospecting on the Suspect List
4.What should be the ratio between Suspecting and Prospecting?
- Step 1: 100% of the Suspect list must be sent a communication either in the form of email, whats app, SMS or Telecalling.
- Step 2: 30% of Suspect list is expected to respond to the right marketing communication sent by you in Step 1 above
- Step 3: 50% of the 30% of positive response in Step 2 above must be interfaced with one to one in an outbound mode.
- The ratio is expected to be 20:3. This may change slightly with industry vertical.
5. When should we do Suspecting?
- This is a continuous process and must be done across the year as it keeps on adding to the bench strength of the Sales Funnel
6. Should we have a separate team for Suspecting?
- Suspecting is done in the form of brainstorming with the entire sales team. Top Management involvement is a must in this activity.
- The Sales Coordinator can be made in charge of Suspecting
- Every salesperson must be continuously suspecting in their respective minds
7. What is the relationship between Suspecting and Target setting?
- Higher the Suspecting, higher the list of “Contactable data” generated by the sales team
- Higher the “Contactable Data” , higher is the “Contacted data list”
- Higher the prospect contacts, higher will be the leads generated
- Higher the leads generated, the higher are chances of closings and therefore higher sales targets!
Suspecting must be treated with the highest level of seriousness by top management. Any organization which treats Suspecting seriously ends up in better Prospecting and therefore higher value of sales.