Salespersons are definitely not born. Like any other form of art, a sales person also gets to understand the craft of selling by virtue of training, mentoring and coaching.Some people do believe that there are some traits in a salespersons which is there by birth and cannot be inculcated by training or coaching. This could be true for all professions.
Let me first quash certain myths about salespersons in the minds of common man.
What are the myths about salespersons?
- They are glib talkers and can talk their way into any challenge.
- Salespersons are good at hoodwinking people.
- Salespersons are liars.
- Salespersons are helpful but they never mean good for you.
- Salespersons are desperate to sell under any condition.
- Salespersons cannot be trusted.
- Salespersons must have very good communication skills
Let us understand what are the traits of a good salesperson.
What qualities make a great salesperson?
- No fear of unknown
- Strong Risk appetite
- Strong comprehension
- Team player
In line with the above discussion, now let us list down the reasons as to why I feel that salespersons are not born. They are made with a structured approach and training.
Why do we believe that Salespersons are not born?
- Salespersons do not sell. They just practice the karmas of sales judiciously and wait for the right person(customer) to buy the right product on the right time at the right price.
- The most important karma of sales is to meet a predefined number of new contacts (aligned to Target Group of Customers) everyday and tell them about the product and services. This is sheer hard work and has nothing to do with birth of a salesperson.
- Salespersons understand that every satisfied customer will give more customer references. It is therefore important to keep every customer happy and then milk his satisfaction through more referrals and customers. This has nothing to do with the birth of a salesperson.
- Sales Intelligence is about asking the right questions and never about giving the right answer. This is a basic human instinct to ask questions and has nothing to do with anyones birth.
- Sales transactions always provide an opportunity for 8% cross selling. Sales persons who understand this vide training are able to close all such cross selling deals. This again has nothing to do with the birth of a salesperson.
So next time, when you are hoping to get a readymade salesperson who was born great please do not fool yourself. You will always have to train a salesperson and develop them into great salespersons.