Business Networking is the art of proactively establishing contact with all and sundry possible by default or by design in order to discover business opportunity, if any, to do business with them or through them. 3% business comes with them. 97% business comes through them. The beauty here is that business networking yields contacts which becomes your angel for promoting you and your business in their respective natural markets!
Proactively Reach Out
- Reach out to people in any congregation and introduce yourself. (Is your 30 seconds intro ready?)
- Reach out to people around you and offer to help them even if it has nothing to do with your business. (Have you heard of “Givers Gain” policy?)
- Reach out to people around you and offer to take responsibility of getting things done. You will normally find others crazy about having authority while you crave for responsibility.
Never Say “No”
- Never say “No” to incoming requests even if it is not your normal line of business. If you are still not interested to do it, connect the incoming call to the right person even if this means making an effort.
- Never say “No” to an incoming enquiry even if you are not going to make too much revenue out of it. People test you before giving you the big assignment. (Of course, we cannot accept any job at a cash loss!)
- Never say “No” possibilities; possible product, possible service, possible collaboration!
How can I help you?
- Discover how you can help your contact. (It is never about how he can help you to begin with)
- Ask yourself, “How can anyone in my existing contact list help this new contact?”
- Try to explore “How an existing contact’s contact can help this contact?”
- You must be seen in all important and relevant congregation. For this you have to make a conscious effort to be present.
- You must be seen by everyone as someone who is always ready to help. For this, whenever people observe you , you should be caught in the act of helping others. You should work hard for the invisible “Best Networkers Award”.
- Do you find people interested to network with you? For this you should have some lead magnets which will make you visible and will attract more and more people wanting to network with you.
- A good business networker has a very strong marketing communication ready. e.g. Brochure, Video, Flier, Postcard, Visiting card, social media channels etc
- Powerful business networker always keeps on investing in a brand which is a combination of name, fame and value systems.
- Successful business networker always have some strong “Call to Action” (CTA) ready to initiate business contacts. In absence of a CTA, one meets and forgets. To be able to establish a connect and network one has to be fed with CTA.
Let us create a checklist for self assessment as a business networker based on the 5 skills discussed above. It is important to note here that all great salespersons are great business networkers but it is not necessary that all business networkers are great salespersons.