Result orientation in Sales is a direct function of the Belief System that each salesperson upholds as well as the Sales value system upheld by the sales ecosystem of which the salesperson is a part of. More often than not, there are some common myths which over a period of time have become strongly entrenched in the minds of salespersons. This blog will help you bust such myths within you and hopefully around you subsequently. Each sales myth listed below is followed by statements around the listed myth which are true.
1. Selling is all about talking.
- Selling is about listening actively and asking (questions) proactively.
- Selling is about making the prospect talk.
- Selling is about understanding the prospect when he is talking.
- Selling is a skill where a salesperson decodes what the prospect is not speaking but means the same.
- Smart salespersons have talkative pair of eyes.
- A salesperson need not necessarily be an extrovert.
2. A salesperson sells a product or service.
- A salesperson sells the problem that the product or service solves and not the product or service.
- Salesperson demonstrates the solution that his product or service will render to the prospect rather than trying to sell the product or service.
- Salesperson always highlights the Benefits that each feature of his product or service will entail to the customer rather than try to Push sell features of his product or service.
- Salesperson maximizes the number of new introductions given to new contacts so that the probability of more and more prospects becoming customers is high.
- A salesperson sells the belief that he or she is the best person to provide a cost-effective solution to the customer with respect to a specific problem.
3.Sales Professionals are Born.
- Sales is a performing art that is learned by structured training.
- Sales is 85% perseverance and 15% inspiration.
- Sales intelligence is your capability to ask relevant questions to customers.
- Success in Sales comes out of maximizing the number of new touchpoints every day
- Sales professionals are made under the tutelage of great mentors and coaches.
4.Sales are best done by giving discounts.
- Discounts can never make a customer happy enough to give you a sales order.
- Discounts cannot increase the saleability of a product.
- Discounts are given to match competition never wins you a sales order.
- A discount is not a tool to close sales orders.
- It is possible to sell a product today without giving any discount.
- Salesperson spoils his relationship with the customer is he does not have any discount to offer.
- Products which offer more discounts do not sell better in the market.
5.Selling is an Art.
- Selling is a science. The art of selling always sits on top of the science of sales.
- Selling is a process first and skills later.
- Selling is all about mastering the science of creating a conversation with the prospective customer around your product or service.
- Selling is to empower the customer to win the discussion in favor of the salesperson.
- Sales are about asking the right questions to the customer and then finding the right solutions.
6.Digital Marketing will replace Sales.
- Marketing, at best, can create a pull. The Sales push will always be required to sell a product.
- The sales roles and responsibilities will slowly transform into the Digital Marketing space.
- Digital marketing is a tool to generate leads and feed the same to Sales Funnel.
7.Sales Artificial Intelligence (AI) is all hype.
- Customer Buying Behaviour is best analyzed by doing Regression Analysis of past data of old customers.
- Data Science helps a salesperson understand Demand Forecasting from existing customers.
- Social Listening(SL) from customers who are using your product or service will give you new product ideas for product management.
8.The salesperson has to bend backward to initiate a Sales Negotiation
- The salesperson should never start a Sales Negotiation unless he is sure that his product or service is already the buyer’s top choice!
- The salesperson can never beg his way to a sales order. He has to establish the financial benefit of buying his product or service to the buyer for the latter to consider his product or service for a final negotiation.
- Sales Negotiation is a process of “Lose to Win!”. The salesperson should be very clear about what all he is willing to lose to finally bag the order.
- Sales negotiator always takes a position in sales negotiation based on customer’s interest.
- A sales negotiator never gives without getting!
- A sales negotiation need not be closed come what may. There is always a “walk-away point” in sales negotiation.
9.Salespersons need the luck to achieve their Sales Targets
- Multiply Hit Ratio (The no of new contacts to be met to convert into one order) by your sales target and divide the quotient by the no of working days to arrive at the MNOC/day (Min no of calls/day). The salesperson who achieves his MNOC every day is bound to achieve his sales target every month.
- 15% of sales target must be achieved through Reference Selling and 8% of the sales target must be achieved through Cross-Selling.
- The Sales Funnel should be leakproof for sales targets to be achieved every month.
- Promise Quotient (PQ) level of a salesperson plays a very important role in fulfilling their respective sales targets. PQ is equivalent to Promised Made divided by Promises Kept.
10.Sales require a talent called “Lying”
- Sales are not about selling a refrigerator to an Eskimo!
- Sales require a talent called ‘Active Listening”. The lying salesperson is a bad sample of the salesperson.
- Sales achieved by lying is bad sales. This is bound to bring back negative word of mouth in future for the seller.
- Customers buy from a salesperson who helps them in doing so.
- The salesperson who lies is a disgrace to the community of sales professionals.
11.Sales are the only job which has no Stability.
- Sales like other professions works best with people who follow the right karmas of their respective profession.
- Effective sales planning and their implementation ensure de-stability in the sales career.
- Sales Pipeline Management is the process which ensures a stable sales job.
- If the reasons for sales happening is not known, the reasons for which sales will suddenly stop happening will also be never known.
- Business owners fear losing performing salespersons to the competition.
12.Salespersons lose their image if they have to go to Prospects
- Suspecting followed by Prospecting is the gateway to lead generation in Sales.
- It is very customary to go and invite your most coveted guests to your place for a demonstration of your product.
- Salespersons who do not meet prospects lose the chance of representing their products for a likely consideration in the minds of their prospective customers.
- Salespersons earn their image by selling more which in turn happens when they meet more and more new prospects.
In a Nut Shell
Sales is a very professional career wherein sales professionals ensure that the Balance sheet of any organization keeps on ticking positively. It is an honor to be a sales professional because this privilege cannot be given to everyone. It is very important for all salespersons to stay away from the 12 myths in sales capsuled in this blog. The stronger and more positive the belief system in sales, the chances of positive impacts in sales is high! Only those of you who love to play the game of sales in order to ensure that your customer wins every time and gives the sales order to you are the ones who will bust such myths in sales every time you step out on the field to perform. I salute all sales professionals who do not fall prey to such myths in sales and keep the flag of sales flying high for posterity to come.