It is always a great fortune to be mentored into the function of selling by a great boss who does everything other than “bossing around” with the salesperson. Let me share a check list with you. If you positively tick more than 70% in this , count yourself as a “Dream Boss” for all salespersons
1. You as a role model
- You are punctual
- You love making sales calls
- You practice whatever you preach
- You are ahead when it comes to taking team blames
- You never take personal credit for any spark of brilliance shown by any salesperson in your team
- You do share lighter moments with your team, on duty as well as off duty
- You use the words “Sorry” and “Thank you” with your team members
- You help your team members achieve their sales targets
- You are fearless while making sales call.
2. You as a sales person
- You do prospecting every day and open new accounts for salespersons to attack.
- You coach at least one salesperson of your team everyday by practically showing them how to sell” by live performance.
- You conduct “role plays” on selling with your team everyday
- Your “Need Analysis skills” and “Objection Handling skills” are impeccable
- You demonstrate that you can close orders to your sales team
3. You as a BOSS
- You administer the dosage of “Kiss” and “Kick” to the sales team every efficiently
- You anchor the sales team internally and shield them from any external threats
- You spend time with new salespersons inducting them and non performing salespersons before terminating them on the sales field.
- You incentivise deliverable of the sales process and taken responsibility of Sales results yourself.
- You represent the sales team to management in case they are not treated well by the latter. You are the advocate of your sales team.
Friends, you cannot be a trapeze artist and fear jumping on a trapeze. Lead from front. If you hate making sales calls just because you are too senior for the same, it only means that you are denigrating the profession of sales. I have never seen a jeweler who hates gold nor have I seen a cobbler who hates shoes. I do however see a lot of Sales Managers around who hate the act of selling. This is not done. Let us love our work!