In my practice as a Sales Coach and Mentor , I have come across the following most common symptoms in customers who suffer from “Salophobia”:
- Inability to recruit the right salespersons that could be retained in the system to deliver desirable results.
- Every day sales management practices were either misunderstood or not understood at all.
- The Target Group(TG) of customers were not profiled by a methodical process of market segmentation and understanding of customer buying behavior.
- The MNOC(Min no of calls / day) was not established as a sacrosanct figure in the sales management system of the company.
- Salespersons in the sales team did not have the privilege of field sales coaching. Hence no hand holding was done on the filed for the sales team.
- The sales team was not mentored to follow a structured Sales Process.
- There was a total lack of customer centricity in the entire team leading to a strong belief that quality production will automatically seek a good market.
- There was no time with anyone to pursue concepts of Customer Relationship Management(CRM) and Customer Service Recovery.
- The practice of Reference Selling and Cross Selling was not there in the sales team.
- Rewards and Recognition(R&R) was not done through a scientific process of understanding new business development, sales figures and customer satisfaction index thereby leading to rewarding only sales numbers and not the entire spectrum of sales metrics.
- Top Management is just not interested in pursuing anything in sales function and wants to outsource everything, if possible.
- The quantum of new lead generation is poor leading to a chocked Sales Funnel.
- The Sales Closing ratio is poor.
- The sales team in unable to convert a customer into a life time customer with a structured process of customer engagement.
- Practice of Sales as a function is limited to office timings. Sales must be a religion and practiced 24 x 7
While most of these points can be countered by consulting pills, if you do not treat “Sales” as a religion in your organisation there is need for a major surgery!