Jhonny Jhonny, Yes Papa
Doing your work
Getting Good Results
Why throw money?
They fooled me – Ha Ha Ha!
In the course of my profession as a Sales Management Consultant, we often come across Small and Medium Enterprises (SME) where the Gen Next is trying to take over the mantle of leadership from the outgoing generation. (Papa)
This saga of succession planning is many times marred by immature but educated kith and kins who often sing the song of “Jhonny Jhonny, Yes Papa…”.
Let us look at this phenomenon with an eye for detail by understanding the case study below.
The Case of Changu and Mangu
Changu (BE) and Mangu (BE, MBA) are two brothers who are second generation entrepreneurs. Raju, the father, worked very hard to bring his business up to Rs 25 crores turnover per annum from scratch. Sitara Devi, the mother, is the lucky mascot of the family and has a “Seen All, Know All” attitude towards everything in life.
Changu and Mangu feel that they are blessed with golden spoon and are born to lead by command and not by example. All their efforts to take a flourishing business to next level fail and they hire the services of a Consultant to help them in the same.
Despite intervention of the Consultant nothing great happens and in the process Changu and Mangu end up spending Rs 10 lakhs on this. Raju was kind enough not to interfere in this initiative of Changu and Mangu because he wanted to give a neutral chance to his bright children to perform.
On further analysis, it is learnt that this is not the first Consultant who has failed to bring positive results. Somehow things are just not happening the way they should with Changu and Mangu. Till now in all review meetings, except themselves Changu and Mangu have blamed everyone , including destiny and God.
What all could be the reason for this failure of Changu and Mangu?
Plausible Reasons for Failure
Please tick mark the plausibility index, as you deem fit.
- Every time they hire a consultant, the latter misguides them. ①②③④⑤
- Changu & Mangu lack leadership qualities to lead from the front . ②③④⑤
- Changu & Mangu fail to understand that process drives business. ①②③④⑤
- Changu & Mangu have to learn to “own” failures and not pass the buck. ①②③④⑤
- Changu & Mangu can blame others only once they have understood the algorithm of success. ①②③④⑤
- Anything and Everything that happens to you, it is you and only you who is to be blamed for the same. ①②③④⑤
- Changu & Mangu are looking for a shortcut to success ①②③④⑤
- The influence of Sitara Devi on Changu & Mangu is very strong ①②③④⑤
I invite more responses from my readers on what all could be the plausible reasons for failure of Changu and Mangu in business. Your intervention will help educate many more Changu and Mangu in the SME world of entrepreneurism.