Sales Consultant who do not prospect for new customer leads are bound to be a liability to this function of SALES sooner or later.
Prospecting can be done in one of the following ways :
- Meet Target Group (TG) of customers in groups or meaningful congregations
- Meet Target Group (TG) of customers one by one
When do you meet TG in congregations?
- Small ticket size prospects
- Low probability prospects
- Time and cost of meeting prospects is a constraint
When do you meet TG one by one?
- Large ticket size prospects
- High probability prospects
- Opinion Leaders as prospects
- Highly influential prospects
What should you not do while meeting TG in congregations?
- Try to sell your product or service
- Try to seek opinion
What should you do while meeting TG in congregations?
- Try to establish the concept behind your product or service
- Take feedback only (not opinion)
What should you do while meeting TG one by one?
- Need Analysis by structured portfolio assessment
- Part closing after every Benefit closing
What should you not do while meeting TG one by one?
- Meet more than one at a point of time Sales Strategy
- Meet one by one without all stake holders in place
Does prospecting warranty sales?
- No, all new sales will come from prospecting but all prospecting will not lead to Sales Training Programs .
- Prospecting warranties that the salesperson will never be short of inquiries and hence sales calls.
Should you stop prospecting, once you become very senior in sales?
- No, all salespersons must prospect irrespective of their level in hierarchy.
- You can meet people of your level and yet be prospecting
What will happen if a salesperson stops prospecting?
- His sales funnel will suffer and one fine day he may not have enough enquiries with him to follow up.